No matter where I am I have friends who are half a world away. I want to stay connected and keep my supporters informed. Some times I will be very busy and only update once in a while. Other times I might bore you with how much I have to say :) Just check back once in a while when you are thinking of me and see what I'm up to!

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Amigo, Amiga, Ug Mga Amigas

Amigo, amiga, ug mga amigas.  Until about a month ago I would have said they are all friends.  Dili na lang! Not any more! Friend, friend, and enemy. Okay, so not exactly.

Just like Espanol, amigo or amiga express the singular form of friend depending on the person's gender.  Mga amigas on the other hand does not mean multiple female friends. It means multiple ants. Normally ants wouldn't be a big deal, except it turns out I'm allergic to the red ant bites and there are daghan kaayo mga amigas (a lot of ants!).  Thankfully it is not anaphylactic shock bad, but puffy for hours and "I want to scratch my skin off" for days bad. I thankfully have access to antihistamines so the itch doesn't last so long but most days I still end up with at least 2 new bites.

I've been here enough times and long enough this time that I can say I have daghan kaayo mga amigo, pero I hope mga amigas go away!  I just don't think that is happening any time soon.

Six weeks and two Visayan lessons complete.  I'm feeling more confident, but there is still a long way to go yet.  Here's to living the life!

No comments:

Post a Comment